Wednesday, May 6, 2009

One is the Lonliest Number...

We're in Liverpool for just one day and I'm kind of bummed about that. Liverpool has been fantastic, starting with the room. It's enormous, and even has a large piano in it! If only it was in tune so I could play the couple of things I know lol. There's also a large bathtub that I enjoyed taking a bath in. It's such a contrast from the hotel in Glasgow (Crapcow I like to say).

We left Glasgow as early as possible today and took our train to Liverpool. Which after a quick change, wasn't too difficult. It's a little overcast here, but I'm still loving the weather. After dropping off our luggage we headed out. I saw that we happen to be here the week of the 'Liverpool Comedy Festival' which is fantastic timing! Here I thought I'd have 2 weeks without any comedy and was very sad. There were a few options, one being this comic that was not only cute but had some good reviews posted, a girl comic which I was interested in checking out, and then a local stand-up competition for amateurs which seemed fun too.

We first walked over to see if there were still tix for the cute guy, obvs that was my first choice lol. Unfortunately he canceled his show (lame), so we walked down to where all the Beatles stuff would be. It was fun just walking through Liverpool, everyone was friendly and the stores were cool. We got to the street where the Cavern Bar is and decided we had to eat something since we (mostly my dad) were cranky and he told me to, "just pick something". And I randomly (I swear) picked a French restaurant, Cafe Pierre. It was amazing. The best food we had the whole trip and everything inside was styled like you were in France and Edith Piaf was playing, I was in heaven. We had a 3-course meal and even though it's all we ate all day, it's all we needed to eat. Ridiculously awesome.

We then checked out all the Beatles stuff. We spent way too much money on merchandise and pictures of everything. It's a small area but had a great vibe. There were also street performers around and they were so good I could have sat and listened for hours. But alas, we kept walking over to wear the stand-up competition was going to be held and decided to get tickets. We went back to the hotel to relax until the show.

It was at a club called, The Rawhide, and it's this underground club and was a pretty cool space. The bartenders had no idea how to make a lemon drop though which was disappointing. The competition was fun, I think there were 8 comics (maybe more?). The girl I liked best didn't win, but the girl who won was cool. There was another woman who was terrible and talked about her mom and masturbation. No I'm serious.

Of course we get picked on by the host, which was actually fine. He mostly talked to my dad. But he was funny (and cute) and we had a great time. Afterwards we passed a karaoke club and decided to stop in and I got to sing the last song of the night before we headed back to the hotel room. All in all, I loved Liverpool and I'd love to go back. Great nightlife, and it was only Tuesday!

No comments: