Sunday, May 3, 2009

...I Need You So Much Closer...

Dear Glasgow,

Please stop sucking.


Love,

Micaela


***

Perhaps I'm being unfair to Glasgow, but after two days in Edinburgh I've really found Glasgow to be a disappointment. Edinburgh had history and beautiful buildings and delicious food and wonderful shopping. Glasgow is, in my opinion, the Fresno of Scotland. Bleh. I'm glad we'll be in Islay drinking tomorrow and then off to Liverpool after that. I think walking 3 miles down Slauchiehall St. has burned me out on this town super fast. I did enjoy seeing the Dali painting at the museum though.


Today we got here by train and then walked far down the street looking for a place to eat after checking out the museum. Apparently nothing is open on Sundays so we took a taxi to the restaurant we were going to have dinner at that was recommended to me and opted to have lunch instead. It was called Butterfly and Pig and was very adorable. Total hole in the wall with mismatched plates and cups and really good food. According to our cabbie, Snow Patrol went there a month ago. So I'm officially as hip as Snow Patrol. How exciting.


For dinner I saw a restaurant called The Goat, so of COURSE I wanted to go there. Best name ever. It was a cute cafe/bar and had good food. I tried Haggis as I promised I would. Though I had the Haggis stuffed portobello with goat cheese, not exactly traditional. It was....well it was. And I tried it and that's what mattered lol. The chips and cappacinnos were awesome, so high point! we left shortly before some bands described as 'folk/pop/psychadelic' started. I think that may have been the best choice lol.


But let's back up and end on a happy note. I got here in one piece (yay!) and even though the thought having to take a plane for another 10+ hour stretch in 10 days seems impossible, it could have been worse I suppose. I'm not a good flyer, and tomorrow will be taking a plane twice in one day in order to visit 3 whisky distilleries. I am not looking forward to this, but it is my penance to pay in order to get my day in Paris Friday. I shall endure.


Now Edinburgh, so fantastic! I fell in love with the whole ambiance and style of everyone and the beauty of the buildings and great mix of small shops and high-end restaurants. My kind of place. I bought some beautiful cashmere scarves, tasted 5 kinds of whisky in a day, had the most adorable waiter named Hamish (means adorable in Scottish, or James, I forget which) and toured a real castle!


Edinburgh Castle was gorgeous and definitely worth the ridiculous hike up stairs/a steep hill that I'm surprised I didn't die after. But damn Edinburgh spoiled me so and I'm now bored on a Sunday night in Glasgow.


Well, not to worry, my journey is only starting and I'm sure this is the last of me being bored! Much love.

No comments: