Friday, May 8, 2009

J'ai Deux Amours

Paris! I actually went to Paris! I've wanted to go since I was very young, it came on from my love of Madeline and Edith Piaf. I've had Eiffel Tower keepsakes, loved my French CDs, French movies, etc. I didn't know Paris was on the itinerary until about a month before we went. My dad planned it as a surprise for me.

The day we were to leave though I got sick, so that was a bummer, but I wouldn't let that stop my fun! We took the Chunnel, which is this underground train that goes under the English Channel. Which was much scarier in theory than it actually was. The train was lovely and the service perfect. They served delicious coffee with french bread and it was a great journey.

We get to the station in Paris and I'm already overwhelmed by the fact that I really should've attempted to learn more French. After being accosted by Bosnian girls who wanted money and paying $2 to pee (!), we taxied over to Notre Dame. Our time was very limited, we had only about 8 hours total in Paris so we taxied everywhere and didn't get to go inside any monuments. Notre Dame was gorgeous and VERY busy unfortunately. We then spent the next hour trying to find a place that was serving lunch but ended up having to wait until 12. Luckily, my pitiful knowledge of French came in handy. And I would just like to point out that the French were VERY nice to us, never rude at all. We were offered help many times and thankful for it.

We walked for awhile and then taxied the rest of the way to L'Arc de Triumphe which was beautiful. We found a great restaurant to have lunch and watched as way too many tourists passed us. It was a little annoying that there were so many people there I have to say. After we went to L'Eiffel Tower and it was beyond what I expected in person. It was huge and beautiful and it was great just to be there. There are four entrances to go up the tower and each must have had 100+ people waiting to go inside so we had to skip going up. But we got some souveniers and then sat in the park looking at it for awhile.

The only other thing I wanted to do in Paris was shop! I wanted to go to Chanel & Christian Louboutin and get some yummy treats too! I stupidly didn't like write down addresses of these places before I got there, I blame my illness that day. So anyway, we're looking in our info books and see a lot of high-end shopping happens around a statue of Madeleine so we decided to try over there. I must say as well, that Paris is fucking gorgeous. London & Edinburgh has great architecture too, but Paris trumped them. I would need a week just to enjoy the sights properly. Anyway, we are a block from Madeleine and I see Chanel, so of course I shout, "STOP THE CAR, I SEE CHANEL!" because I'm a dork lol.

So I get out and literally run across the street to the Chanel store. We go in and I'm looking for my purse. It's a purse that I've wanted for over 3 years that I fell in love with and I couldn't wait to see in person. So I'm scouring the store and can't find it. There's one that's close but it has these gold chunky handles, and it's not my style at all. I love Chanel, but some of their stuff is way too gaudy for my taste. So I'm about to give up and I decide to ask a sales lady there if there's anything that's not out on display. And first she says "no, that's everything" but then says, "well what is it that you're looking for?". So I describe the purse and she tells me to hold on and then pulls out a card key from her pocket and opens up this mirrored wall (seriously) and goes inside and then back out with a box and pulls out MY PURSE! I don't think I could explain my elation by just seeing it in person lol. I then go to it and start looking it over and notice the price tag and my heart drops. It's about twice as much as I was expecting and really can't afford to get it. My dad asks how much and I tell him that it's okay, at least I got to see it. And he tells me no, he's getting it for me. Now I didn't even know he was going to do this, I expected to buy it myself. It was so sweet of him and I get even begin to explain how happy I was when he told me that he was going to get me this purse. I know it probably sounds stupid or frivalous, but I love purses and this is my dream purse. It be like a sports fan wanting a signed Joe Montana jersey. Or some other good analogy there.
(Le purse!)

We had asked the nice Chanel people were Louboutin was and we just happened to be around the corner from the original store. So we went over and I spent the next 2 hours trying on shoes, which does wonders for your mood I must say. I settled on a pair of both hot & practical black open-toed shoes which I purchased myself and is now the most expensive item I have ever bought! But I love them and their unusually comfortable & easy to walk in. We then headed back to Madeleine square and went to Fauchon which is this store that has everything from wine, to meets, cheeses, fresh bread and cookies & pastries. We bought wine, some sourdough bread, cookies for coffee & eclairs for later. I wish they shipped in the US it was so yummy.

After that we sat outside and had some coffee and watched people walk by. It was a great end to our whirl-wind trip but I got to see/do/get everything I wanted and was content in leaving. Of course I'd love to really get to see everything someday, but I was satisfied and know that next time I go I'll need 4 times the amount of money I think I'll need cause it's so freaking expensive there. But we left for London soon thereafter and it really was a fantastic day. I can't wait to go back and see everything at night!

No comments: